A New York City based human services organization seeks an assistant director of external affairs to help manage external facing projects for the organization. The external affairs team is responsible for all communications and external affairs including media, government, and public relations; social media; conference and event planning; publication design, production, and distribution; database management; writing and editing publications, press releases, all collateral materials, op/eds, talking points, blogs, and other materials as needed; website content and analytics; public service announcements, ads, and promotional activities including non-profit book sales; in-house photography, videography, and podcasts; and coordination with outside vendors.
The assistant director of external affairs reports to the director of external affairs. Primary responsibilities include: assisting the director of external affairs with strategic planning, project management, and staff oversight, including managing own portfolio of projects. Main areas of focus include strong media relations (proactive and reactive), creates, manages and grows the organization’s presence across social media channels and writing and editing in multiple styles with an emphasis on translating sometimes complicated research or statistics into common or marketable terms (news, advertising, scripts, social media content). Knowledge and experience in photography, video, and audio a plus.
Qualifications and Expectations:
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in communications, journalism, or public relations
• 5 to 10 years of experience in media, government, or nonprofit with at least two years of supervising staff
• Digital native with fluency in all social media outlets
• Superior writing skills; able to connect with a variety of audiences
• Ability to manage multiple projects, trouble-shoot, and offer solutions
• Keen attention to detail, well-organized, and deadline-oriented
• Must adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing priorities
• Ability to handle sensitive information so discretion is required
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite a must
• Interest or background in human/social services, public policy, education, or government a plus. This is not a research or policy analyst position.
• Eye for design and visuals elements across media a plus.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience and salary history. The organization provides excellent benefits including health and dental insurance, employer funded retirement benefits, life insurance, disability, and ample vacation, holiday, personal, and sick leave time.
Please send CV and cover letter to: